Friday, July 3, 2009

Could It Be?!!!

I have been lamenting the fact that I don't have an internet connection and in order to give you all an update (as much as I'd like to) I'd have to cajole Baby back into her car seat. For now that just isn't happening. Unbelievably as I sat down to add up our trip expenses in the living room I saw that I had access to someone's wireless network. Who knows how long this will last. I'm going to try to spit it all out as quickly as possible.

After we last spoke (so to speak) I had our final leg of driving. That morning Baby screamed and writhed for TWENTY FREAKING MINUTES (you know full well that I am not exaggerating) while I tried to wrestle her into her carseat. That is not easy... in case you didn't know. You can't just buckle them down... they have to actually be in the right position to latch everything. By the time I was done I was covered in sweat and in a pretty terrible mood. She was so hysterical that eventually our old neighbor (that we liked to call The Colonel due to his immaculate lawn featuring a large flagpole) actually came out to see what on Earth was going on.

I wish that had been the end of it. But it wasn't. I had to go grocery shopping, and visit one more friend, each stop requiring yet another forceful carseat throwdown. Finally she gave in and we made our 4.5 hour trek up to the cottage in relative peace and quiet.

I'm not going to lie, for the majority of this trip, I have wanted to buckle her in and turn back for home. Things have not been easy... on her... or me. I've had to put in long haul trucker like road hours with one hand handing out Teddy Grahams and the other changing DVDs. All with almost NO sleep. It's been hard for me to keep my cool day in and day out while still having my buttons pushed (hard) by Baby. Kid, on the other hand, has been perfect... thank you, God.

When we arrived up here only The Cougar was here. That was perfect. Baby had recently seen the cougar when she and my mother came down so there was still some familiarity there. Part of the problem for Baby is that we keep walking into a houseful of eager strangers. That and staying in the attic room in PA with the legitimately scary shadows (for real... she said they looked like Monster fingers and I was like... word to that.) Plus the complete lack of ability to foresee an end to her suffering... after day 2 of driving I think Baby pretty much felt like tossing me an f-bomb and declaring me a liar. You know, like if you call this shit a vacation I'm going home. And who could blame her?

Baby did wake up the first night in our new digs screaming, as has become her signature, but last night she slept pretty peacefully. I think there is hope that she is getting adjusted and if we just stay out of the car for a couple days she might regain hope that we haven't in fact become gypsies (so much for my dream of RV living).

That's all for now. I've got pictures and family dynamics to report on soon! I'm hoping I"ll still have this connection at least through the weekend (assuming it's coming from the neighboring cottage).

Hope all is well with you and that you enjoy the long weekend (the American readers anyway).

7 comments:

inkelywinkely said...

Thank God, girl!

LOL.

Did you get my countless emails that didn't work that night and the final one that did? I was so embarrassed that had happened...

We had a major breakthrough with punk yesterday (after screaming for 9 hours last time about being scared in his room- even at 2 pm!!)...he FINALLY slept through the night.

Found out, the issue is just because his mom and grandparents have all been letting him sleep in the bed with them. If they put him in a room just for him, he whimpers and they stick him in their bed to just not deal with him. Here he has his own room- always has. So, he wanted to "go home" at night. We called his mom, and that is when we found out what was going on. She said all he would do is scream to be here when it wasn't bedtime, and then worked it out with dh that he would be sleeping in his own room. He didn't think that was too cool, and once he found out he would not get his way, and we had a very serious talk with him (which may or may not have included showing him linda blair without makeup), he decided he could sleep through the night.

He was so sleep deprived he slept until 3 pm!! Thank God it is the summer, eh?

I am SO happy you finally got a restful night's sleep. You deserve it.

((hugs))

Julie said...

I think Baby pretty much felt like tossing me an f-bomb lol...also i always crack up when you mention The Cougar.

I will be thinking of you all and hoping you all get settled soon...just in time for the freaking drive back.

Kid, you completely rock for your mom.

Mrs Furious said...

Julie,
I think The Cougar likes to be mentioned ;)


inkelywinkely,
I just got your emails... thanks. Glad you finally figured out what was wrong with punk.

inkelywinkely said...

yeah, we have had a pretty great day today.

How did you enjoy getting to walk down the aisles at trader joe's again?

Mr Furious said...

Could be worse...you could be an Ice Road Trucker!

Preppy Mama said...

What trip you are so brave!
I am laughing because I lose my patience on a trip to target when little man acts up...forget road trips for me!!
Good luck and hope you have a safe and relaxing remainder of your vacay!

inkelywinkely said...

LOL @ MR... We watch that show constantly...adn YES , she could be, and it WOULD be worse. :)

Hope you are having a great 4th!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin