Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dinner Is Served

I've posted this recipe before but it bears repeating. Tilapia is a slightly sweet firm white fish, it is very versatile and reasonably priced. This is an easy, fast, and surprisingly delicious (and extremely kid friendly) recipe. This can literally go from the fridge to the table in 15 minutes... seriously. With 2 minutes more prep you can turn out an extra batch for the freezer... it reheats beautifully.

Cornflake Crusted Tilapia

1 lb Tilapia filets (4-6)
2.5 c cornflakes, crunched up
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c flour
2T spice rub*
2T oil


preheat oven to 400 baking time 10 mins

Coat the bottom of a large rimmed baking sheet with the oil, spread to coat evenly and set aside. Line up three pie pans or shallow bowls or plates. Place the flour and spice rub in one and whisk together. Beat one egg in the 2nd pie pan. Pour the crunched up Cornflakes in the third (I just crunch them with my hands). Dip each filet, one at a time, in the flour turning to coat evenly, the egg mixture and then the cornflakes. Place them on the oiled baking sheet. Bake for 5 mins, turn over and finish baking for an additional 5 minutes.

each filet is 200 calories

*Spice Rub (adapted from Rachael Ray)
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) sweet paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried oregano
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 palmful), coarse kosher salt

Mrs Furious Food TV... You can watch me make it!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are so darn cute. lol. I was giggling at the doggy in the background.

Here is my deal w/ fish. I hate how my house smells after I cook it.

Here is another way ... melt butter in a ban (or I Can't Believe it is not butter) I did a TBS for 2 filets. Add salt, pepper, and slivered almonds till heated through and pour over fish. Yummo.

Mrs Furious said...

hmm... I don't know if this would smell as fishy but since I don't leave the house it is hard for me to tell ;)

Julie said...

I have been meaning to make this for a while. In fact, I bought some frozen tilapia at TJ's a while ago. The problem is my husband really, really hates fish so I always forget to just make it up for the boys and I. Of course, since we rarely have fish, my boys don't eat it either. But then, my kids really don't eat any meat. They can be so unsatisfying to cook for:(

Deb said...

I like how you're threatening to punish us by making your family eat it over and over.

If the store has tilapia today, I'll buy it and make it. Oh, wait, I'm roasting chicken today. This weekend. This weekend. (Sorry Family Furious!)

Anonymous said...

It's even better if you use Panko bread crumbs instead of corn flakes.

Mrs Furious said...

Smoochie,
Does that mean you made it? Or do you just mean in general? I particularly like the way the flavor of the corn flakes plays off the spice rub... they're really complimentary flavors.

Mrs Furious said...

Panko would give a completely different textural feel to the crust too... not so crunchy.



Deb,
these freaks would eat this everyday with no complaints.

Shirls said...

man that looks fab, but your going to have to keep posting it for a long long time if your waiting for me to make it - hubby's damn allergies don't let us have fish, sigh

hicktowndiva said...

Okay, you broke me down. I went out and bought tilapia and cornflakes and made it. And I have to say...even my son, the world's pickiest 8-year-old, ate it without complaint. I liked it quite a bit and my husband did, too. I will definitely make it again and I appreciate the recipe and the nagging to make it...I'm a reluctant cook at best but like I said, I will make this again.

Mrs Furious said...

HicktownDiva,
Yay! Yay! I'm glad you all liked it... especially your son! :)




Shirls,
yeah I don't know how you manage with all his allergies :(

Anonymous said...

Something extremely similar. Love me some Panko! Not a big Corn Flake fan though. It's a textural thing for me. The Panko are so small they almost disappear when cooked. Yummy!

One Less Meeting Blog said...

Trying this tonight - with the Flakes, not the Panko. Can't wait to see my kids freak out when they sit down to dinner... We've mandated that we will no longer cook separate meals for the children in our house.

Mrs Furious said...

Scott,
Well I hope it works out and that everyone likes it!
Good luck with the no more separate meals... they'll get used to it (I hope). ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin