Sunday, October 14, 2007

Momma's Got A Brand New Bag

...of frozen cookie dough that is!

Sweet Jesus these are so goddamn good I can't even control myself! And that is saying something.. The Magic Cookie Dough is fantastic and a fabulous frozen nugget of goodness but these are unbelievable baked... irresistible really. Perfect amount of sweet, spice and salt. Make 'em when you know you'll be able to give most of them away ;)


The Essential Chewy Oatmeal Cookie (Taken From The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion)

preheat oven to 375

1/2 c unsalted butter
1/2 c vegetable shortening
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c brown sugar (I used light)
2 t vanilla extract
1/4 t almond extract
3/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t ground cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 large egg
6 T light corn syrup (I used dark)
2 T milk (not non-fat)
3 c quick-cooking oats (or pulse old fashioned oats in a food processor or blender to break into smaller pieces)
1 & 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 c raisins
1 c chopped pecans or walnuts (I omitted due to picky husband)

Lightly grease (or line with parchment or silpats) two baking sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and shortening, sugars, extracts, spices, salt, and baking soda, beating until fairly smooth. Beat in the egg, scraping down the bowl, then beat in corn syrup and milk. Stir in oats, flour, raisins, and nuts.

Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes, until they are light golden brown. Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.

makes 45 cookies at 156 calories a piece.

* I omitted the nuts and scooped out level tablespoonfuls of dough and yielded 67 cookies at 100 calories a piece.

A little cookie primer:
Baking cookies with all butter makes for a softer cookie, using all shortening (or margarine) makes for a crisp and crunchy cookie. This cookie calls for half of each yielding a delightfully crisp crust. All butter is great for sugar cookies while all shortening is prefered for molasses cookies and ginger snaps. But if you have a strong preference for one quality over the other you can adjust most recipes to the texture of your choice by replacing butter with shortening (or margarine) and vice versa. Happy baking people!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect amount of sweet, spice and salt.

Ah... the salt... ;)

These sound good. I'll give you my address and you can mail me some!

Anonymous said...

The primer thing was great and very instructive. I'm glad you put that in there. We usually prefer softer cookies and now I'll know how to get them that way.

Anonymous said...

I actually like my molasses cookies chewy. It's the way grandma made 'em.

These oatmeals are kick-ass. Perfect crisp/chew combo.

I don't think the dough is as good as the C.C. dough, but the baked cookies are possibly better.

Mrs Furious said...

I'm glad you put that in there

You are welcome :)

yeah the salt thing is certainly something you wouldn't think of on your own..but next time you are eating a "real" cookie (not a 100 cal pack!!) you will probably notice it. Not so much with a choc chip cookie as much as sugar, pb, ginger, oatmeal types. Sugar cookies are my absolute favorite.. and if they don't have the slight salty after taste they aren't worth my time (or calories)... especially important with an iced cookie... mmmm... I want more cookies....

Anonymous said...

why must you taunt me with those amazing little things?!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a good sugar cookie recipe you would share with us?

Mr Furious said...

She has a fanastic recipe for christmas sugar cookies. Not sure if that's what you're looking for (or if you're thinking the big, thick bakery sugar cookie).

The iced/decorated Furious Christmas cookies are legend.

After yesterday's oatmeal orgy I am already primed for Christmas cookie season. When we first met Rachel would make five or six different cookies for the holidays...that probably won't happen again until the girls are useful appprentices, but I can dream.

Anonymous said...

She has a fanastic recipe for christmas sugar cookies. Not sure if that's what you're looking for (or if you're thinking the big, thick bakery sugar cookie).


Honestly, the big, thick bakery sugar cookie is one of my absolute favorite cookies. However, as long as the cookies aren't too thin or hard, I love all sugar cookies.

Mrs Furious said...

Honestly, the big, thick bakery sugar cookie is one of my absolute favorite cookies

Even I don't know what Mr F is talking about..Mr F just threw you off... my sugar cookie is the big thick, soft cut out kind... you know the kind of fancy iced sugar cookies that you get suckered into buying and then are slightly disappointed by .. well not these they never disappoint. I'll post it soon.

Mrs Furious said...

why must you taunt me with those amazing little things?!

Israel,
I'm sorry.. but everything in moderation... right? ;)

Anonymous said...

I'll post it soon.

Woohoo! I'm eagerly awaiting that post. Of course, if you'd like to make some and bring them to Florida when you meet us, I'd love you forever :)

Mr Furious said...

Even I don't know what Mr F is talking about..Mr F just threw you off... my sugar cookie is the big thick, soft cut out kind

i mean as opposed to the kind of sugar cookie you would get at Starbucks or something, the ones that are like a half-inch thick and covered with sugar.

Your Christmas cookies are the greatest cookies ever.

E. Broderick Photography said...

Yeah! I have been thinking about making oatmeal cookies for weeks and now I have the perfect recipe! Thanks. AND--let me say that Mrs. F's Christmas cookies are the best. They are so pretty, in fact, you alomst feel guilty biting into them. But once you do, it is hard to come up for air. Yup--that good.

Mrs Furious said...

Eileen,

Oh my god these are sooo good... I almost wanted to update that people shouldn't make 'em.. you can't eat just one (or two.. or three...)

and thanks for the compliment :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a late comment. However, we just made these last night. Chris and I got volunteered to make cookies for an after school party Libby is having. We were asked to bring chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin and I remembered your recipe. It's really good. I made the chocolate chip cookies and was up until a bit after midnight doing so. Chris then made the oatmeal raisin ones and was up until 1:30 this morning. poor guy!

Mrs Furious said...

so could you taste the salt? ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin