Friday, March 28, 2008

You're My Favorite Mistake





These are the perfect cookies to use when doing a nice fancy "Martha Stewart" iced cookie. I thought that leaving the royal icing off might make these a little less addictive... I was mistaken!

Sugar Cookie Cut-outs

3/4 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 & 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1 t salt

In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and the 1 c sugar until creamy; beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly, to form a soft dough. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least 1 hour) or for up to 3 days.

On a floured board, roll out dough, a portion at a time, to a thickness of 1/4 inch (just less than a cm), keep remaining portions refrigerated. Cut out with cookie cutters and place slightly apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8 minutes* or until edges are just beginning to turn golden.

*I like mine soft, so I try and get them out just before they develop any color, I bake them for about 6 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

simply put...... YUM.

Mrs Furious said...

of course I made them for the kids... they had 2.... I had 20 ;)

Robin said...

I can attest that this is a yummy recipe. Mrs. F gave it to me a while back. Mmmmmm. They are good plain or even better with royal icing (I put a little almond extract in mine.)

Julie said...

I am avoiding this post as if they are cookies on a plate in my house. LA LA LA LA LA


I will make them someday though.

Mrs Furious said...

Robin,
good call... I LOVE almond extract.

Elizabeth said...

Hey! I think that's the recipe mom uses/I use!
Could this be related somehow?

P.S. I'm not sure about the commenting etiqutte on 'old entries' I just had to mention this!

Mrs Furious said...

Elizabeth,
I always get the comments emailed so I can catch them on old posts too.

I don't know re:recipe. I got it from a cookbook years ago and gave it to my mom. She might have passed it along... or it might just be a common cookie variation.
Addictive. They are like crack and I can't make them very often or I'd be in trouble.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin