Thursday, March 27, 2008

Holy Moley

Did any of you watch the two part Oprah on the crazy, C-R-A-Z-Y, hoarders? Sweet Jesus. I'm not even sure there is much I can say to describe it to you... you kind of needed to see it to believe it. Luckily you can go HERE and take a peek.

Well there I was watching this in the basement. I was sitting there watching this family and was just aghast at their severe hoarding issues and then I looked around...

um... it seems we've got some issues of our own.

Now I know I've gotten myself in trouble with this before... but I just can't help myself. I refuse to pretend we are something that we are not. We are not neat freaks people. We are hoarders.

Some of you have seen pictures of our *messy* house but the truth is this is what our house looks like right now (at the end of the day no less)...


Typically we actually don't really have a major clutter issue beyond a day or two worth of toys on the floor and a pile of mail to be filed... okay and maybe some stuff on the counters. When I've posted "out of control" shots of our living space it has been when Kid's been on break for a week or some such thing. I do it to motivate me to stop wallowing in all that needs to be done and just get up and do it.

That is the honest to God truth and why I have local friends who think I stage the mess since they've been here many times and never witnessed it (also evidence of what I can do in 20 minutes... so... yes, please do call before you pop in!). And our upstairs is not a cluttered area. We sleep upstairs and that is it. If anything our issue upstairs has more to do with actually "moving in" to those rooms and using them. I can get the upstairs (even on its worst Kid fueled explosion) company ready in under 15 minutes.

But that does not mean we don't have clutter problems.

Welcome to Hell...



11 comments:

Mr Furious said...

if you give it to us don't worry we won't throw it out... but we will throw it into a giant pile at the bottom of the stairs

Yeah. Literally.

Some of you might recognize those canvas bags from Xmas...They were stuffed with all the odd and ends left over from Christmas, and there they sit coming up on April. And there is good stuff in there!

One day, perhaps we'll enjoy some of it...

Mrs Furious said...

"if you give it to us don't worry we won't throw it out... but we will throw it into a giant pile at the bottom of the stairs"

Don't forget we'll also throw the old packaging of the stuff we are using in that pile too!

healthy ashley said...

You both are too funny. I've always been a hoarder- but recently I realized that by hoarding all of the less-than-great things that I hadn't needed/used for years, I was missing out on all of the good stuff! So I felt like I didn't have what I needed, so I'd buy MORE.. which led to me spending more and using nothing of what I already had.

You seem to have everything down flat on how you organize, but in case you were wondering... I cleared out all of the things I KNEW I hadn't used in forever and didn't really need. I left the things I wasn't ready to let go of. A month later, I revisited the iffy items. If I still hadn't used/needed them, they were tossed! I threw out so much, but it feels so much better now!

I am sorry for this painfully long post. But, Mr. + Mrs. F, you can do it. Seriously... You will NOT use that!

Deb said...

"if you give it to us don't worry we won't throw it out... but we will throw it into a giant pile at the bottom of the stairs"


LOL... that had to be the line of the year!!

My husband is a hoarder. I am The Anti-Hoarder, so with much frustration on both sides, it usually works out. I'd offer to come visit, but I fear my husband's hoarding would go into hyperdrive while I was gone and the stuff would overtake the house and child.

Jennifer said...

Oh how I have missed your blog! lol. I have been without computer.

I just rewatched some of the "motivational" videos from you. In need of it.

I actually have a room in my house that the boy actually referrs to as "the messy room". Is it in the messy room mom? Yeh, that is where all the stuff goes that I don't know what to do with or even want to deal with at that particular time. I think everyone has one of those areas in their home. It's fun.

Glad you are feeling better!

Jenn

Julie said...

Hey, is that Jon and Kate plus Eight on the TV? I do love me some of that show.

Mrs Furious said...

Ashley,
" A month later, I revisited the iffy items. If I still hadn't used/needed them, they were tossed!"
good tip
Yes there are many things that could easily be ruled out that way.


Deb,
The horrible thing is that I completely cleaned out the basement 1.5 years ago. Got everything sorted and properly stored or dumped. The majority of this mess is stuff that we just don't have time to deal with... it is like our holding tank before we throw it out.


Jennifer,
yes before the basement I had a "room of shame"....

I'm glad you're back :)

Mrs Furious said...

Julie,
Yes! I just started watching it. Let's just say I can relate to their relationship dynamic ;)

emmyjw said...

Holy cow that Oprah thing is scary. We have a fair amount of crap that is in the iffy category in the basement, but I have gotten a lot better over the last couple of years and man it feels better to be free of all that stuff.

P.O.M. said...

Oh- don't be so hard on yourself. It's just "lived in." Sometimes there is just nowhere to put shit.

Mrs Furious said...

P.O.M.,
"Sometimes there is just nowhere to put shit."
word




Emmy,
OMG I've never seen anything like that lady! 3000 pairs of shoes. My MIL has her same compulsive shopping issues.... which then ends up at our house!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin