Saturday, May 10, 2014

For Your Reading Pleasure

The other day I stumbled on the exact kind of read I've been looking for:

The Bear by Claire Cameron is fast paced, tense, and has a compelling point of view and narration style. You will not be able to put it down (I promise).  It is an edge of your seat read. ( I mean, Mr F is reading it now... and getting him to read anything that doesn't feature car photography is extremely rare... so take that as a serious endorsement!)  The Bear is somewhat reminiscent of Room, if you read that (you SHOULD!!), mostly due to the voice of the narrator, which is both cases is a five year old child.  In both books the child's voice lends an endearing, naive, and sometimes humorous view on terrifying events.  I read Room a year or so ago and think I recommended it on the blog, and it may very well be the last book Mr F ever read in its entirety... so again... its a good read.
If you enjoyed (which seems like the wrong word for such a disturbing book) Room by Emma Donoghue I'm pretty confident you'll be into The Bear.   The suspense of your adult understanding of the situation and very real dangers, mixed with the child narrator's magical thinking and perception of events is powerful and deeply thought provoking (and kinda intense!!).

For what it is worth, as a mother of a similar aged child I do think the voice of the child narrators in both of these books are interesting and believable.

Just keep in mind, that after The Bear, you may never take your kids camping again.

Here are book trailers for both books...

Room:

WATCH HERE

BOOK SITE HERE

The Bear:

WATCH HERE

BOOK SITE HERE

Read them both!!!


3 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks for the recs! I will be looking into both of these, although you know we are a camping family. Hopefully we still will be after I read these... I will just push down my own anxiety for the sake of everyone's normalcy. Just like I did when we went to the grand canyon and no one seemed too concerned about getting too close to the edge... I hyperventilate just thinking about it.

Mrs Furious said...

They are both excellent and would make fantastic movies, if they were able to adapted it while still maintaining the kid's perspective. I think Room is already being made into a movie... maybe.
Camping should be okay for you since your kids are old enough to fend for themselves. The kids are 5 & 2 in the book... it is so intense!!! Read it.

Mr Furious said...

The track star factor should also work in their favor...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin