Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back To School

We take Kid Furious to visit her preschool tonight. It was a hard decision for us to make... holding her back. She is old enough to start Kindergarten (Michigan's current cut-off is Dec 1st) but she would be one of the youngest in the class. We've decided to "Red Shirt" her, a term I am uncomfortable with. However I do strongly believe it is in her best interest both socially and psychologically, if not academically, to be 5 before she enters Kindergarten. Not to mention the whole pesky neurological disorder issue. And for us Kid Furious's seizures are actually much harder to identify than those listed in the link, especially by an untrained eye (even paramedics as I have unfortunately had to learn!), and life threatening to boot. "Back to School" is a lot more stressful for us than picking out the right backpack. Relinquishing control of Kid Furious's health and well being, even for 3 afternoons a week, is a hard thing for this momma to do.

4 comments:

HC said...

Hey Mrs. Furious,

My heart goes out to you -- I imagine it's difficult to let any child go off to school, but so much harder when you have extra resaons to be a protective mama. I was "red shirted" (never heard that term before) and turned out happy and healthy (and not to toot my own horn, but quite successful academically), and with an extra year of memories of warm, loving times at home before being thrust into school -- the extra time is a blessing.

Cheryl said...

I feel for you. Make friends with the teacher and tell them all about her special circumstances. Make sure they know to err on the side of caution with her health stuff. I would want you to do that if she were in my classroom.
As far as the "red shirting", I agree with it. I was the baby in school and didn't do all that well. Being a teacher I also see how far behind kids can get early on, they are often also younger. I also think school is not what it used to be, better to be ready than on the edge.
Oh, fyi. We had a student last year with seizures and a similar medication. Legally, our school district had to hire a full-time rn to be on site just for that student. Typically "school nurses" aren't nurses, at least in ca.

J said...

I was one of the oldest in my class (by birthday, not red shirting which didn't really happen back then) and Michael was one of the youngest. Our social and psychological results in school were very different. I was mostly happy and well-adjusted. Michael was not. I know it's a tough call and the media attention to red shirting and Ruby's health issues make it all the harder, but I think it's a good one. Hang in there - it's hard to be a mama to the healthiest kid, even harder with other "issues" (for lack of a better word!).

Mrs Furious said...

Thanks guys. I am always happy to hear of "red shirted" kids doing well. I'm certain it is the right decision for her, just hard in terms of social pressure.. we are constantly asked if she's headed off to Kindergarten, etc.
Cheryl... thanks for the RN tip... this is one of my biggest fears, in her small preschool I am very comfortable that they know her and know what to do in an emergency. In an elementary classroom with 3x as many kids I'm a bit worried, not to mention I am certain they would keep the emergecy meds at the nurse's office and not with her in the classroom. I have a hard time believing that the teacher could reach the nurse and get the meds administered within 5 minutes! It is this kind of stuff that makes me want to homeschool! We are still hopeful that she might outgrow this, they'll test it next year.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin