Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Fourth! (a holiday retrospective)

The weather has been pretty cool since we got up here... but yesterday was perfect. Beautiful cloudless sky while still breezy enough to keep the sun from melting us into the sand. We spent a good part of the day down at the beach... thankfully the water is cold enough that I don't have to worry about Baby running in and drowning herself (that's the one good thing about the frigid water).

Then we had a big dinner out on the deck overlooking a magnificent sunset. Well... the other people did. I ate inside at a small game table trying to keep the dog from eating Baby's ribs. Once it was dark we enjoyed a pretty decent fireworks display put on by my younger sister and her boyfriend. Well... the other people did. I sat inside holding Baby's ears. It was fun.

My mom made some fantastic corn pudding: 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, 2 eggs, 1 c sour cream, 1 stick butter, 1 can corn (drained), & 1 can of creamed corn. Blend. Bake in greased dish at 350 for 1 hour. Seriously... Yum. Very much like the corn pudding at 12 Bones. Sometimes she puts in a can of diced green chilies.

Also I've been introduced to a new cocktail. It's an alcoholic Arnold Palmer (which I'm not sure what you would technically call since the whole point of an Arnold Palmer is that it's non-alcoholic). Anyway, my sister-in-law arrived up here with lemonade and Sweet Tea flavored vodka. Burnett's Sweet Tea flavored vodka to be exact. Is it just me or is the sweet tea craze going a little far these days? I had my initial doubts but in this instance it is worth it. It was delish and refreshing and perfect for my light weight drinking ways... and there was none of the malty aftertaste of say a Mike's. Look into it.

6 comments:

Julie said...

So glad the Cougar came through for you.

Elizabeth said...

aww, I wish I was there. I miss those huge 4ths we had up there growing up. (is it part of being older, being all nostalgic for the 'good old days' when we were young?)

Mame rocks, its just a fact of life. I"m glad she backed you up.

Deb said...

Am just catching up after my own houseguests left. (Can we trade blogs to blog about the things we must get off our chests, but don't want certain people reading?) That whole screaming child/angel child thing? We get that on vacation, too. Honestly, vacations are the only thing that sometimes make me question why we had two kids. It was so much easier to travel with just one. On the plus side, traveling with two kids convinced me not to have a third, so that was an unexpected bonus of a hellish trip to Miami a few months ago.

I hope you're safe and getting some sleep tonight.

P.O.M. said...

Argh. I missed the blog. Damn it.

My sis and I were at the kids table for so long. finally about 3 yrs ago I told my family that if I'm at a different table, I'm not coming. What's the point of driving 4 flippin' hours to sit at a card table and have to do all the damn dishes. F that. I'd rather go to a boyfriends house where I'm a guest and don't have to clean :) ha ha.

Mr Furious said...

Which annoying dog was it? Buddy or Brody?

Mrs Furious said...

Mr F,
ha not Buddy or Brody. shit you know I wouldn't have even had the kids in the same room with either of those dogs. Dalia... MLs other dog that mom has. She's actually a good dog but... ribs...


Deb,
I might take you up on that. I was so pissed off last night I couldn't sleep.


Elizabeth,
she does. If only she'd stop smoking inside while insisting all the windows be kept shut!


P.O.M.,
" I'd rather go to a boyfriends house where I'm a guest and don't have to clean"
WORD.

Julie,
If she hadn't drunk at the time it might have been better...but... beggars can't be choosers. At least it worked. No one crosses The Cougar.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin