Monday, July 6, 2009

A Look Inside


Wondering exactly what it's like "Up North".
Probably not what you are envisioning.

The cottage lies on a strip of land between Lake Michigan and a smaller inland lake. You drive down a wooded private drive to get here. (It used to be really secluded feeling but a few years ago a bunch of rich assholes from Chicago bought up several tracks of land near us and put up a whole bunch of appallingly large summer homes and tore up the woods. They even put in a elevator so they don't have to climb up the dune to their house. I'm just sayin'... We hate them.)

When I was growing up we had a dock and boathouse on the little lake and would catch minnows and turtles. My grandfather had a pontoon boat and would take us all out there with his cocktail in hand and drive us around before dinner.

Now some new assholes moved in next door and are real sticklers about their property line... so... the boathouse was torn down and the dock is kind of falling apart. (Okay enough complaining)

Well when my grandparents built their cottage in the mid 60s this little house was on the property. We call it the boathouse and that is where the girls and I are staying. Up here specifically. The only downside is this...

and this...

and this...

The main house
is a showplace for my grandfather's eccentric collection of big game taxidermy, art, and random stuff. Baby calls it the "Animal House". If you think of the whole Max & Erma's, TGIFs, & Applebee's decor scheme as an actual style then my grandfather invented it. It's kind of intense. Surprisingly the kids aren't afraid.


It's also pretty safe to say that I'm probably one of the only people who's had to say (well in this century anyway) to their two year old "No, no, no.... that's not for kids... that's not safe!" upon finding them holding a rusty bayonet.

The extended family has gone back to their respective homes for the rest of the week. The girls and I are hanging with The Cougar until their return (and Mr F's arrival on the 11th!) and trying to catch our breath... well... I'm trying to catch my breath... I"m hoping they'll catch some ZZZs.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Not sure how far you are from the Indiana border, but have you ever been to Amish Acres? Check it out:

www.amishacres.com

Mrs Furious said...

We're actually all the way at the top of the Lower Peninsula. But I'll check out the site... thanks!

Torey said...

So cute! I'm totally jealous! I love up north!

Marilyn said...

Now that's a house with character!! Have fun -- hope baby settles down for you.

inkelywinkely said...

Oh, I am so jealous! I am stuck in the Louisiana heat (think 115 degrees EVERY DAY)...the water is not blue...more along the lines of dark green to black, and full of snakes, gators, and turtles...

Btw, your grandfather's house is so cute.

justme said...

you know how you love the amish, well i am intrigued with island living or places like you are at in that cottage. and that showcase house of your grandpa's truly amazing to me, that is the stuff that i love to know more about.

Elizabeth said...

I want to be there so badly!

I love our new cottage (for the rest of you, my mom is Mrs. Furious's aunt, her mom's younger sister. We seceded from the union of the Big Cottage a few years ago and bought our own about half a mile down the beach)

but I really miss the Big Cottage!
Oh my childhood!

Elizabeth said...

p.s. I'll be up around the 20th I think

Claire said...

Your "ocean" looks beautiful - tell me what the mornings are like there - are they cool and then the day warms up? Here in the South you think it is going to be a refreshing morning until you open the door and step outstide and - omigosh - you get hit in the face with a big hot wet wool blanket that smacks you in the face and you feel like you have to bite and chew the humid air in order to breathe!

inkelywinkely said...

I hear ya Claire. UGH.

I wouldn't trade it, though, to be honest (not for good anyway)

Noah said...

I love northern Michigan. North of Clare, when the trees become predominantly pine and the hills get much much higher...I love it.

HC said...

Oooo...cool house!

Hey, just FYI, I turned my blog private last night b/c of some privacy stuff -- not sure if I'll bring it back yet, but just wanted to let you know all is well. :)

Mr Furious said...

Yeah, it cools down most nights...sweatshirts are often required out on the deck in the evening...

It is perfectly capable of being in the 90s and hot and humid—my memories of Traverse City proper are all heat-infused. But at the cottage there is almost always a breeze, even on the hottest day.

Mr Furious said...

Smitty, check your gmail.

Mrs Furious said...

Claire,
It is refreshing in the morning and at night. The days can be quite warm but not terribly humid here at the beach. There has to be a pretty severe heat wave for it to be uncomfortable. The hottest time is in the evening when the sun is setting. Our cottage faces due west and there is no shade. The sun really burns right down on us until it goes down. Once it's down it's pretty cool... sweatshirts... pants... blankets. The breeze blows in our room all night and it is COLD.
All in all it is kind of perfect.

Mrs Furious said...

Feener,
well I'd be happy to lend any insight I can. Ask away.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin