Friday, November 12, 2010

So Apparently...

Saying you need to see a therapist is a conversation killer.

ha!

Oh well. There is no shame in my game.

I did get in touch with her and we can catch up in two weeks. Which times out to be after Kid's conference, so I'll be able to paint the most thorough picture I can of the situation. Side bonus, she frequently works in the Ann Arbor public schools, so she'll know if what is going on with Kid's teacher is par for the course or just plain wiggity whack. I'll really appreciate getting that insight as we move forward. She was also invaluable to me last year when I needed some help assessing Kid's OCD ticks, so I'll be looking forward to her guidance in that arena as well.




On to other things....

I just love our yard! Our house is set up into a hill, so that from every window you see tree tops. It is so uplifting to look out at all those trees every day. From our big family room, which is lined with windows on three sides, you feel like you are sitting in a tree house. 


(bad pictures, but that's just the view I have from our kitchen counter... and it still kicks ass)

Look even Mr F thinks so... I just looked up and saw him walking along our roof. If our yard is good enough background for one of his fancy car photos... I guess that's saying something.

(He's got some kind of Audi convertible today, if you are wondering. I can't tell if it's that 180K one or not ... yes for real... isn't that completely insane?)

And it's such a nice confirmation of our move.  Honestly, people, there has not been one moment of regret.  Even with the whole school debacle, this was the right move, at the right time, to the right place.

The entire time we were in West Asheville our surroundings really depressed me. As a stay at home mother, what I can see from my windows has a profound effect on my spirits. I spent a lot of time bemoaning the abandoned gas stations, the non-stop out of control barking dogs, and the general shitty-ness of our old neighborhood (especially considering the price!). Sometimes I wondered if I was making it up... could it really be that bad? Yes, my friends, yes it was. There is not a single part of our town that bears any resemblance to that, not even on the "other side of the tracks". When we walk around, it charms me and cheers me up. Your environment really does matter. And, hell... at just about half the price... we're feeling very lucky indeed.

So that's my take away house hunting tip for you. How nice your house is matters, of course... but most of that you can fix and improve upon if you want to. What you have to look at matters too... and most of that will be outside of your control. Take some time to look out of the windows before you buy! A super charming house will still suck your soul out if you have to look at your neighbors garbage every morning from the kitchen sink. I gained a new perspective on that this time around. We saw a beautiful, big, stone craftsman, and it was hard to not want to love that house... but... I really paid attention to what was out the windows... and it wasn't pretty... and it wasn't going to change anytime soon. So we moved on. And I'm glad we did.

7 comments:

Torey said...

I was going to comment yesterday, but my kids were going ape. . .well you get the idea.

I would love for you to recommend a therapist for me. Any thoughts? I've got major anxiety going on, stemming mostly from our CPS fiasco earlier this year. MAJOR. ANXIETY.

And your house and yard (and family) are beautiful. I'm so glad this move has been so positive for you, even with the downfalls you've encountered.

Mrs Furious said...

I straight up LOVE my therapist. And I've had... oh... 5 or so in the past 17 years. I'll email you her name.

Mr Furious said...

No, not the $180K Audi... a comparative bargain at $65,000... Kid was very excited to ride to school with the top down. Made up a theme song and everything.

Jaime said...

I looked at 20 apartments before I bought the one I'm in now. At least half of them were disregarded due to the view. From where I am now, I can see trees and actually caught a lot of fabulous sunsets this Summer. Worth the wait.

Mrs Furious said...

jamie,
It makes such a huge difference when you have a nice view, especially since you work from home. I'm glad you were able to get a place you like so much.

steves said...

Considering the number of lousy therapists, the good ones are worth their weight in gold.

Michelle said...

I agree with looking out windows.

I'm glad you are loving the move!!! It was the best thing for you guys!

Send Mr F back down to work on our leaves. Pretty please.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin