Sunday, September 16, 2007

Compliments To The Chef

Last night for dinner I made Tomato & Meatball Soup. After devouring two bowls of it Kid Furious said "Mom could you make this soup every night...except without the tomatoes?" Hmmm... that will be hard since it is tomato soup...

Now this is a 15 minute instant meal using only three ingredients that you can always (and should!) have on hand in your pantry. Do Not Judge Me! When I was making it last night I heard "Ohhh I know what you are making!" from Mr F and "I love meatball soup we haven't had that in a long time" from Kid F. There was not a drop left in anyone's bowls. This is simple and good... not prize winning. Stay tuned for that soup recipe next week.


Tomato and Meatball Soup

1 -32 oz carton Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato Soup (I'm sure you could use a different brand... but this is the best!)

3 oz elbow noodles (dry).. I use Barilla Plus elbows.. nutritional wonders and the texture is still good

12 party style meatballs (frozen) ... Ikea style meatballs (this week I used Trader Joe's)... little beef/pork blend meatballs

1/2 c water


Dump the soup, the noodles, and the meatballs in a sauce pan. Pour the water in the soup carton and shake to dislodge any remaining soup and add to the pot. Bring this to a simmer and continue simmering for 15 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally while heating!

makes 4 - 1.5 c servings for 263 calories each

we of course eat it as 3 large servings for 350 calories each! I cut the meatballs in half in the kitchen (in the bowl) before serving it to Kid Furious.


You could easily extend this by adding 1 c chicken broth, 3-4 meatballs, and 1 oz of noodles for each additional serving! If you are adding more than 2 extra servings just double the original recipe (obviously... right?)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Tomato soup is my favorite comfort soup, so we'll have to try this. But I want Chris's homemade meatballs in it. He makes AWESOME meatballs.

Mrs Furious said...

Chris will have to give me his meatball recipe!

I'm afraid this soup won't do homemade meatballs justice... it is more of a slightly grown up version of Chef Boyardee.

Can I tell you how lucky you are that your husband can actually cook?!

Anonymous said...

My friends call him Saint Chris. He cooks, cleans, sews and is great in bed. I have NO idea why he stays with me :) But we've been together for 19 years now (since I was 16 and he was 17)

Mr Furious said...

My cooking skills have completely atrophied, but I DO clean, and I can't remember if I was any good in bed ot not...been a while...damn kids.

Mrs Furious said...

Michelline,
I am sure you are doing somthing right!

And 19 years!!! My hat goes off to you. My parents met in highschool as did my brother and his 1 st wife. Neither marriage worked out... I think it is very difficult to make a good life long decision at that age.. you guys must have been very mature!

Mrs Furious said...

Mr F,

I don't think you can call vacuuming the livingroom every other week "cleaning".

As for good in bed... you are good at snoring... that and selective hearing (as in never hearing Kid when she is up sick.. and never hearing me while I call for help either!) ;)

Mr Furious said...

Ouch.

Mr Furious said...

I don't think you can call vacuuming the livingroom every other week "cleaning".

Why not?

HC said...

I'm totally making this soup -- it sounds so comforting (and thanyouthankyouthankyou for including the calorie count...I've become a wee bit obsessed as of late).

Mrs Furious said...

calorie counting is where it's at!

michelline said...

been a while...damn kids.

Now you know why we didn't do the co-sleeping thing :).

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can call vacuuming the livingroom every other week "cleaning".

And this is why we have a cleaning service (my mother!) come over every other Friday to clean. Because neither of us was vaccuuming.

Mrs Furious said...

we have a cleaning service (my mother!)

Sweet Jesus our mothers would never clean our house!

Amy said...

This looks simple & great! But I'm curious! I know you count calories for everything you eat. How do you do that? Other than product packaging, where do you always get the information? I tried it for a day and got really confused. I'm sure, like WW, it just takes some getting used to.

Mrs Furious said...

Hi Amy,

okay well this one is easy because it is all packaged stuff... and I always weigh my pasta.

but in general I write down the whole recipe and weigh or measure the ingredients as I do it. Then I take the calories I can off the packaged ingredients and then other things like carrots, or whatever I look up online HERE. Then I add up all the ingredients calorie counts and divide it by the servings. I'm kind of a nerd so it never really bothered me too much. I recommend writing them down in a notebook or your blog so you don't have to figure things out more than one time. Also I big time recommend taking a little time and going to the sites of restaurants and takeout places you go to. It helps to know (ahead of time) what things you can have when you are out. I eat McD's double hamburgers all the time when I'm on the go since I know they are 330 calories and a good balance of protein and carb (plus they are only $1!). I find I eat the same things pretty frequently for breakfast and lunch and snacks so once you've got those main foods down calorie counting gets easier. I have a cheap food scale and I do always weigh what I eat. If I have pizza I just put the slice on and write it down... that way I can go to that calorie site and get a really close calorie estimate.
Obviously figuring out recipes is more work than just snacks or a sandwich but it is the only way to know for sure... and it works. Good luck

Amy said...

oh! here it is! duh. thanks. i forgot to track comments.

Mrs Furious said...

You're welcome :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin