I appreciated all of the awesomely supportive comments.
I really do.
Some of you made me cry... in a good way.
This whole time has been insanely stressful and complicated (feelings wise).
I've taken something away from her that she liked... and how much that means (rightly or not) to her is hers alone to decide.
We're talking about it.
I talked to the private school admissions person today.
I told her that I don't want to rush right into another school. I thought Kid needed some downtime, and that we'd come look at the school in a couple of months. I want her to be able to choose the school for the school's sake and not just to jump from one to the other because that is easiest. I want her to feel (even if we're ultimately guiding the choice) that she does have some say. I don't want her (or us) to make a decision in reaction to leaving her current school. I want us to make a real thoughtful decision about choosing the RIGHT placement for her. We just can't do that now. We need some time to bounce back. I also think taking a couple of months, and spending the time really exploring what type of learner she is, and what kind of environment she really needs, and what kind of teacher... is going to be an invaluable piece of information as we move forward. In order to advocate for her in the best way I can, I need to be the expert on what she needs. When it comes to schools... we're just figuring this out. I don't want to pay $12,000 to a school that isn't going to get her where she needs to be going.
The admissions lady said ...
"She's very lucky that you are able to take the time to do that."
And that made me feel pretty good.
You know, especially since they are pretty interested in our money.
I'm not overreacting.
And I'm not just reacting.
It's not easy (really it's not) but in time this is going to all be worth it.
Next Fall, we'll be able to make a much more informed, confident choice about what we're going to do for schooling.
And, heck, until then the extra sleep isn't anything to sneeze at.