Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Birthday Extravaganza... The Update

The morning started off with Kid peeking around the corner on her way downstairs and tentatively asking "5?". I concurred that she was in fact 5... and then she began chanting "I'm 5, I'm 5, I'm 5!". I could even hear her open the toilet lid and say "I'm 5" before she went potty. This is the first birthday where the age has meant something to her. Turning 5 to a preschooler is akin to turning 16 or 21. This is a BIG deal to her.

She started her morning with a little present opening.
She was pleased to receive "Cinderella" from her Grandad

Then we had a couple fresh baked Chocolate Croissants. Thank you very much Trader Joe's. These were un-freaking-believable... and only 320 calories. If you have a Trader Joe's near you... RUN there right now! Fantastic.


Kid figured since she was 5 she had graduated from preschool. I informed that she was wrong and dropped her off. Leaving me a LITTLE bit of time to decorate her cake. To be honest I'm not that pleased with how it turned out... but I was working with an obstacle...Like all younger siblings Baby is doing her best to trump Kid's birthday by not only walking but as of today waving as well.


I'm really trying to be less of a perfectionist and adopt a "good enough" is still good attitude. So with only one hour to decorate the cake this is it.. and let's be real... Kid is going to love it no matter how it looks.


After dinner we're going to go trick-or-treating leaving this stash unmanned...If there are any left I've decided I can have one of each for tomorrow.. that'll be 345 calories total. I still have cake for tonight ;)

Okay I'm off to go enjoy the Birthday Girl..

10 comments:

eurydice said...

wow, i am in awe of that cake.

my mom once made me a big bird cake and i thought it was the most unique thing ever. this was 20 years ago, mind you!

Heather said...

Maybe I'll start my birthday in a few weeks shouting I'm 34, I'm 34, I'm 34! :) That cake looks awesome. I still remember the one for my 6th birthday, and my grandpa cut the first piece and removed it to show her very nekked butt! Woooo Barbie!

Enjoy the day. I struggle with the perfectionism as well; it's a bitch. Aim for A-, I say.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday kid! I hope she got my pink presents...I dreamed of having them documented on your blog...I love that cake. I want a gf version for my birthday!

katieo said...

You must lower your standards immediately. Cause what are moms like me who run out to the grocery store the night before to grab whatever cake is on sale for the big day supposed to do?. (la-hooooser! )

And oh my. Those Chocolate Croissants make me want to get on a plane and go buy some. (No TJ's. boohoo!)

Happy Birthday KID!!

Unknown said...

Holy Moly! that cake is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs Furious said...

Thanks everyone!
Of course with a little distance I can see that it was a perfectly good cake. funnily enough my mom saw it and asked me to make her one for her b'day... I guess she NEVER forgot the one a childhood classmate had. So I'll have some time to perfect my icing "wardrobe" techniques before then.


And Alexis... if only I had read this before she unwrapped them.. I totally would have done that.. I'll do it w/ your xmas gifts.. you'll get your moment of wrapping recognition then! Jamie did think you had them professionally wrapped at Martha :)

Cheryl said...

that cake look great! way better than my pink attempt at an Elmo cake.

I feel terrible I missed sending a gift for my neice's b-day. I'll blame being displaced from my house (fires) last week, I was totally disorganized from that. I will send something today. Hmmm...maybe a willow tree?
I love those too. My mother-in-law just gave me a new one. It's a mom and her 2 boys (well, the baby could be a girl, I guess).

Mrs Furious said...

Yikes Cheryl!!
Matt wanted to call last week and check.. but we thought your parents would have mentioned it.. I guess not! Are you back at your house? Did you go to your in-laws? I hope everything is all right. I feel terrible.. we should have called!

Anonymous said...

First of all, The cake looks fab. I've always heard about the barbie/cinderella cakes but haven't seen one until now. WTG!

Secondly, I want a Trader Joe's Whaaaaa!

Mrs Furious said...

Hi amber,

thanks.

as it turns out TJ's aren't as widespread as I had imagined them to be.... sorry about that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin