Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Day Full Of Surprise

Kid has been very excited about my birthday. This is the first year that she is really into our little celebrations and has opinions about how they should go and what we should give each other.  She has also reached the age where she is desperate to have a secret but completely unable to keep it.  It has been nearly impossible for her to keep her mouth shut despite my begging her to NOT TELL ME WHAT I'M GETTING.


She started in on me last night...

"Can I give you a hint?" Kid asks.

"NO! Please just let me be surprised (it happens so rarely)." I ask.

"I'm not going to tell you what it is... but Dad has it hidden in his car." She replies.

"Okay... DO NOT TELL ME ANYTHING ELSE." I remind her.



Kid was up before me waiting, for any sign of life out of my bedroom, so she could pounce on me and begin the birthday proceedings.

"Do you want your presents NOW?" Kid asks upon seeing me awake.

"Sure!" I reply as enthusiastically as I can without an ounce of caffeine.  

Kid gives me a gift bag and I open up.... a new butter dish...gee... I'm overwhelmed with gratitude.
(at least I can honestly say I was surprised by this general purpose household item-cum-birthday gift)

"Can we give her the rest?" Kid asks Mr F.

He asks her to wait... but honestly... a butter dish?!... so I trumped him with a "Yes Please".

I should tell you that I had had it in mind that Mr F was going to surprise me with a new digital SLR to replace ours which he now uses for his job leaving me without a decent camera.

Kid comes in and I unwrap Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred.
(well... at least I did ask for that one)

Then Kid says "We wanted to get you something else but they didn't have it." in a kind of I'm-up-to-something tone.

At the door Kid turns around and says "I can't believe you're falling for this." and starts laughing maniacally.

(and I suddenly had the sinking feeling that while I was clearly getting something more... the more would not be a camera)


Later today Mr F enters the office...

"Do you have any food coloring?" Mr F comes and whispers to me.

"Yes. Hundreds of colors... obviously" I slowly reply, rolling my eyes, wondering why Mr F is suffering from amnesia and why he is whispering it to me.

Psst Mr F... I am the one you are surprising (and I use that term loosely).

"Oh yeah." He responds as if it had never occurred to him that I use food coloring to dye icing and play dough on a somewhat regular and well documented basis.


The big reveal after much whispering (in non whispering tones as is customary amongst children) was a cake in a new glass cake dome.
(which I, also, did ask for and am quite excited about)

While it's true that I didn't get a fancy camera; this is the first time EVER that Mr F has gotten me not ONE... but... TWO things I actually wanted. And as if that weren't enough he actually got them in time for my actual birthday (a first?!... if not pretty close to it).


I did ask Mr F after dessert "So... did you go to the store for the cake dome and see that they had the butter dish?"
 "Yes." He replied. 
"Oh good, because otherwise it's kind of like giving someone a toaster." I added with some relief.

18 comments:

wootini said...

Way to go Mr. F! Glad you had a nice birthday Mrs. F.

Still laughing hysterically over:

"...as if it had never occurred to him that I use food coloring to dye icing and play dough on a somewhat regular and well documented basis."

Well documented, indeed. :)

Julie said...

Yay!

Elizabeth said...

ah! there it is (strange that my rss feed would stash it like that, I'm new to the whole experience)

But nice gifts! The pics are fun, definitely!

Too many exclamation points! Happy Birthday! Enjoy your cake dome! And your butter dish!!!!

Mr Furious said...

The kids were awesome. They had to help me shop, bake, decorate, clean and leave Mom (mostly) alone this weekend—it could have gone horribly, yet they totally rallied for me, and today was a total relief for me as well.

I was astonished when Mrs F queried me about the camera...in truth I have been actively scouring eBay for WEEKS for one, barely missing out on a few...but I thought it would be a total surprise! In fact, I was pretty nervous Mrs F would kill me for spending the money...

As long as I hook her up before they go to the cottage we're cool.

angie said...

Yea!! So glad it was good. You deserve it my dear friend.

STACI said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MRS. F!!!

I'm so happy you had a great day! :)

Michelle said...

That sounds and looks like the best birthday!!!!

I am glad you had a wonderful one. Good job Mr F!!!!!!

I know Kid and Baby were excited to help!!!!

inkelywinkely said...

you guys did so well!

Kinder said...

Baked it and decorated it - I'd say that's a man that loves you (=

Glad it was a good day!!

Andrea said...

Im coveting your Jillian Michaels the one thing I asked for my Birthday Chris actually asked me last night well did you want me to get it,I thought you would just go get it the next time your out. Thanks my dearest husband I'll buy my own damn gift.

Renee•Candy Stick Lane said...

Im totally in LOVE with the cake dome and that beautiful cake! Ill have my fingers crossed that the cam comes for christmas? maybe?1 LOL!

P/F said...

Am I seeing 3 different shades of pink on the cake? Great Work Mr. F.

...and Happy Belated Birthday Mrs. F.

Mrs Furious said...

Penelope Anne,
I have always wanted one... but for some reason never got one. This one is form Dillard's.


P/F,
Yes. He did a great job. It is always funny to me how much of the cake decorating stuff he has picked up just by being around me when I'm doing it. He used piping bags and everything.


Emily,
Yes that was funny... and classic Mr F.


Elizabeth,
Yes I thought pictures would help... especially my face when I opened the butter dish ;)


Andrea,
I have put up my day 1 review!


Me, Only Better,
Yes he does :)


Thanks again for the b'day wishes everyone.

Preppy Mama said...

Happy Birthday! So glad you got some great gifts! I have to actually tell my husband or I get nothing!Enjoy!!!

Claire said...

I am so proud of Mr. F and the kids!!!I think they did a great job!!

P.O.M. said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry I wasn't online this weekend...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Melanie said...

Well Happy belated birthday...you'll have to let me know how the new exercise video works...been thinking about getting that one!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday! I've been down for the count being out of town and generally out of pocket cause my parents are in town. Hope it was a great day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin