Monday, September 10, 2007

Excuse Me While I Toot My Own Horn

Tonight for dinner I reheated up some frozen Cornflake Crusted Tilapia fish sticks (well nuggets really) and they were as good, if not quite possibly better, than when I first made them. I know I've talked these babies up before but I'm fairly certain none of you have broken down and lined up your pie plates as of yet. Well what are you waiting for... Get On It! These are so good I cannot even get over myself! If I had a restaurant these would be on the menu every goddamn night. These were so good, even reheated mind you!, that Mr F and I were fighting over the extra nuggets left in the pan.

Here it is one more time:

Cornflake Crusted Tilapia

1 lb Tilapia filets (4-6)
2.5 c cornflakes, crunched up
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c flour
2T spice rub*
2T oil


preheat oven to 400 baking time 10 mins

Coat the bottom of a large rimmed baking sheet with the oil, spread to coat evenly and set aside. Line up three pie pans or shallow bowls or plates. Place the flour and spice rub in one and whisk together. Beat one egg in the 2nd pie pan. Pour the crunched up Cornflakes in the third (I just crunch them with my hands). Dip each filet, one at a time, in the flour turning to coat evenly, the egg mixture and then the cornflakes. Place them on the oiled baking sheet. Bake for 5 mins, turn over and finish baking for an additional 5 minutes.

each filet is 200 calories

*Israeli Spice Rub (care of Racheal Ray)
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) sweet paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried oregano
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground coriander
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (medium to hot in spice level)
1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 palmful), coarse kosher salt

Note: I omitted the red pepper flakes for this recipe!


If you decide to do a double batch go ahead and cook them then transfer them to a cooling rack so they don't sog up on you. Once they are completely cool I just put the cooling rack in the freezer. Once the fish is frozen through pop the filets (or nuggets if you decided to go that route... and I suggest you do!) in a freezer bag. I freeze things this way so that I don't end up with a frozen clump of fish, cookie dough, what have you... trust me on this one! When reheating I just popped the frozen fish onto a lightly oiled baking sheet, sprayed the tops of the fish with oil and put them right into a hot (400) oven. I forgot to time them (sorry!) but they heated up pretty quick and I did flip them once half way through. Around 10-15 mins.... just don't burn them. The coating was even crunchier and if possible more delicious! Tonight I served it up with a creamy cocktail sauce. Yum!

And I'm not kidding around, the spice mix is key in this recipe. Take the time to do it right. I just make up a big batch and keep it around. In fact that's what I seasoned last weeks steak with and it was fantastic.

8 comments:

michelline said...

Those do sound pretty good. Michelline likes tilapia and keeps wanting fish, so I'll give these a shot one night.

Mrs Furious said...

Do it! Let me know what you think... well... only let me know if you guys think it's fantastic ;)

E. Broderick Photography said...

We will have to try this soon. We love tilapia. I make it pretty plain but we still love it. Cornflake crumbs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Fried in a bit of olive oil. Yummy. But change is good. Question--when do you exercise? At night after girls are in bed? Before dinner? I have got to figure this out...

Mrs Furious said...

I exercise right after dinner. We finish at 7. I'm on the treadmill by about 7:15. As soon as I'm done I get Charlotte from Mr F and take her to bed.... still in my workout clothes... the timing is that tight! Once she's asleep I do my food diary, have dessert and blog ;) Mr F has the girls from 7:15-8:30, then he spends time w/ Kid and puts her to bed at 9:30.

E. Broderick Photography said...

Wow. Hmm...I have trouble working out hard that soon after eating. Cramps.

Mrs Furious said...

well I don't eat that much anymore so I'm never too full feeling.. i used to think that about myself too but don't find that it bothers me. Maybe if I wasn't walking it would be worse... When I had to run in highschool I always got cramps... try walking.

Heather said...

You have good reason. I tried these last night and let me just say - dang, they are good! I wasn't able to use the rub because of Spencer's picky eating habits, but they were still mighty fine. He loves fish, so I really made them for him, but I wound up eating most them. Thanks for the recipe. Maybe next time I will do an adult batch with seasonings.
Heather

Mrs Furious said...

Thanks!

Definitely try it with the spice mix ... so good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin