Sunday, December 13, 2009

Weekend Update

We're busy as bees around here this weekend. I just finished making chocolate swirl waffles (Kid's first Eeyore comment of the day: "they're okay"... yet there are none left so you do the math) and listening to last week's This American Life. I'm still working on my happiness book... and loving it. I highly recommend it.

We've been decorating (or finishing decorating) and per my instructions... also... putting all the Christmas bins back in the basement ASAP. I think if left to his own devises Mr F would happily (or obliviously) live his life stepping around bins & bags forever. It's definitely, at times, a source of marital conflict. I kind of feel that the large cumbersome hastily emptied bins take away from the WHOLE POINT of decorating the house. But I guess that's just me...

Last night Mr F and I watched Gangs Of New York. The upside of having had small children for the last 8 years is that there are always movies we haven't seen. We only made it halfway (who knew if was like 4 hours long... I can't even imagine sitting in a theater that long)... hopefully we'll finish it sometime this year. It was Close to 1 AM when we called it quits, which was probably a good thing, since it meant we were too tired to get engaged in acting it out (as is our norm for any movie with a combat scene)... and considering the horrific violence of this movie (and my lingering rage over the Christmas bin situation) it proved to be a fortunate turn of events for Mr F.

Yesterday Kid and I had a fascinating playdate/tea date at one of her classmate's. The friend from the shared party actually. FASCINATING. I don't know how else to describe it. But I will say their entire house would fit in our screened in porch (for real) and they had almost no furniture. It's not how I want to live but it is interesting. I'd like to have a nanny cam set up over there to see how it works out on a daily basis. Oh and no rugs either. Like not a single throw rug... I actually don't remember window treatments... As I said to Mr F "it's more bare bones than a rental cabin". Thankfully the mom finally recognized my comic genius (how did it take so long?!) and our time together was much less awkward and much more enjoyable than it had been in the past.

I'm a bit worried that I don't/won't have the time to put together Christmas boxes this year. I'm just a little stretched beyond my means and don't want another "to do" on my impossibly long list of to dos. We'll see. I really enjoyed doing them last year and found it to be really fulfilling... maybe the week of Christmas if I don't have to babysit too much. Also Kid made some beeswax candles at school (I know... so hippie school) and PEOPLE I was floored when I saw them. Hers looked like an adult had made them. She decorated them with a perfectly placed modern style that I couldn't believe a child had crafted. And I'm not saying that in a "she's my kid" sort of mom way... I mean... legitimately. I thought hers were the adult made example. Hopefully I'll get some pics of them soon. Now I just have to buy them off the school for $4 a piece (tell me about it) and wrap them up and that might take the place of my boxes this year.

I also started making THESE yesterday. Behold...

Gorgeous. I wish I could box these up. After making one the size of a small planet I opted to cut each sheet in a half and ended up with 5" squares making a more practical 10" snowflake. They are surprisingly easy and really impressive looking. I'm planning to crank out a few hundred (I jest) and get Mr F to hang them from the ceiling of our big playroom. I think the kids will love it.

I have to say I've changed up our holiday decorating this year and come up with some treatments that I'm really proud of. I wish we had had the time to do it sooner, we all love the way our house looks decorated. Why can't you have a 9 foot fir tree in your living room at all times? Pictures to come.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
I'm going to try not to do the 1000 things I probably should do, and am going to continue to let Baby direct our photo shoot until her little heart is content...

8 comments:

inkelywinkely said...

Good luck with all that woman...sounds like you will be busy. I, myself, have been awake since 4, cleaning up doggy diarrhea and vomit out of carpet from three rooms in the house, our bedroom curtains and the couch. LOL...I am so not feeling the joy today. Good thing is, I figured out what made him sick- eating old turkey carcass from Thanksgiving out of compost in the yard when he is usually only fed a PURE expensive dog food. He seems to not be exploding that often now..maybe I could sleep?

Claire said...

I love those stars - is there a pattern available some place?

Mrs Furious said...

Claire,
Click HERE. It's a video tutorial.


inkelywinkely,
Ah Yes that is what I don't miss about having a dog ;)

inkelywinkely said...

Yes, I have to stay up tonight until he poops solid again so that I can sleep through the night without worrying. haah...

It is things like this that make me wish I DIDN'T have one, though. :P

Torey said...

Wait wait wait. . .back this train up. . .

Kid made adorable candles in school. . .and you have to BUY them off the school?? What happens to them if you don't buy them? Do they sell them to someone else? ("No, Jimmy's were really ugly, so I bought someone Kid Furious' candles")

Is this. . .normal practice?

I'm so befuddled.

Mrs Furious said...

Torey,
I have no idea what *normal* is. When Kid was in preschool they made a christmas craft TO GIVE TO US as a gift.
Here they have us pay for the materials for a class craft project that is a fundraiser for the school holiday program. Of course we all buy our own child's craft back. We are first given a pre-sale when our kid's stuff is still labeled in the room and then what is left is sold at the program. Still we just buy our own kid's stuff there too. Usually you really don't want to spend $4 on some other child's craft... let's be real... this year Kid's are so fucking fantastic that I'm worried someone will! She made 6 and I kind of want them but that's $24! For a craft I already bought the materials for. Crazy.
Each kid made 6. So the school just made $288 off of us and that's just her class. The idea that there is a fundraiser craft sale is okay but since it's only open to the school families and we paid for the materials... that seems a bit manipulative... right?

Torey said...

I think if you didn't pay for materials it would be ok, but paying for materials AND the finished product seems soo wrong!


Hmph. . .I think I dislike Kid's school for you!

Brenda said...

Oh yes! My husband had the conversation about putting the holiday decoration boxes away just last night! They've been sitting in our hallway for a full week now, and it is making me crazy. Then he got out our train set last night, which is stored in a large trunk and now that is still sitting out too. He says to me, "where can I put this, can I slide it under the dining room table?", and I'm like, "nooooo, but you could put it back in the attic where it came from!" I agree totally that the clutter detracts from the decorated home! Also, love the oversize snowflakes. I've made those for years, ever since son #1 came home from school with them one winter... easy, and festive!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin