Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fat Butt

Well it turns out that if you don't move (at all) you need a lot less calories to maintain your weight. I've learned this the hard way... as I've been gaining EVERY single day since I broke my ass. It's not just the lack of workouts, I'm typically a pretty active gal throughout the day, so logic would tell you that I should be eating less now that I'm laid up. Unfortunately my biggest eating signal is boredom. And, well, I've been just a tad bored lately.

I know I shouldn't worry about my weight and should focus on recovery... but... that isn't going to happen. I tried that for the first week and I have to say it isn't helping my whole disposition to also feel out of control regarding my weight. I need to take some responsibility for the constant stream of gingerbread men that have been marching down my throat. I need to figure out exactly how much I can eat without gaining while lying on the couch all day. I fear it might be dramatically less than I'm used to.

Mr F just said "At least you should have the confidence that you can take off whatever you put on when you're better." Hmm... well I don't. Bodies change. I'm two years older. Our will power ebbs and flows. What if I'm never recovered enough to workout as hard as I used to? I don't want to lie around starving myself, but I don't want to make my situation any harder either. Gaining unnecessary weight isn't helping me heal... I'm just taking advantage of the situation to sabotage myself. And it's worked. I'm not just in pain, now I feel badly about myself for giving into stupid mindless eating, and I feel badly every morning when I have to stuff myself into my ever shrinking clothes.

I might not be able to lose this weight without exercise but I can certainly make an effort to stop gaining it. What else do I have to do? Twelve weeks in someone else's life might not seem like very long... but anyone who has seen me pregnant knows that twelve weeks for me while lying around in misery can result in a startling weight gain. Since I'm not walking away from this with a baby I'd kind of like to not look like I am either.

11 comments:

Christy said...

I've only been reading you for a little while, but I feel like you and I would get along great. I think your feelings are valid. I wish I had something great to say that would make you feel better, but I don't. Just know there are a lot of people out there that are rooting for you.

carrie said...

"since I broke my ass" made me laugh mine off.

Sending positive energy your way...

Julie said...

Ugh. I didn't even think of this whole thing about gaining weight due to lack of any movement. Sucks:(

I hear you on the response to Mr F about being 2 years older and the whole motivation's ebb and flow. I totally get that.

Mrs Furious said...

Christy,
Aww thanks.


Carrie,
always happy to get a laugh ;)


Julie,
I'm seriously worried about the age issue. We all know how quickly the metabolism can tank!

Anonymous said...

First of all, saying "since I broke my ass" sends me into a fit of giggles every time. Even though I know it's not funny -- because I know your pain.

Anyway...I'm here to tell you that you CAN do this, because you've been an inspiration to me. Your healthy tips and advice have made me more aware of the number of M&M's I used to shove in my mouth and I've given that up.

Kind of.

Let's just say I'm making better choices and working out when I can (without pushing myself) and it's working for me.

So thank you....Mrs. F! and don't you dare give up or get down. You'll recover. I just know it.

Erin said...

I know it's not funny, but the "broke my ass" part had me laughing, too. I know it is hard to see it that way, but Mr.F is right - you are hardcore when you are working out and counting calories. Whatever you happen to gain (hopefully just a teensy bit - the food journal is a really good idea!) you will totally lose it as soon as you can workout again. Poor you, I feel so awful for you, I can't even imagine. My friend broke her pelvis delivering her son on the FIRST PUSH! It took a few months to heal, but it is completely perfect now.

Mrs Furious said...

Dana,
Oh thanks. I'm trying not to get depressed about it... cause I know that isn't going to help matters! And I'm happy to have inspired you... that kind of re-inspires me.


Erin,
I'm happy to hear about your friend... sometimes I really get worried that things won't get better. I hope I can take it off once I get back on the treadmill.

Elizabeth said...

broken ass is funny sounding, if not funny in real life.

At Weightwatchers lately they've been talking a bunch about filling foods, or low calorie snacks that keep you from feeling hungry longer. That might be a good thing to think about? As opposed to those marching gingerbread men! (fabulous image by the way!)

Of course this is comming from the girl who just gained 5lbs over X-mas and is sitting on her couch eating stale CandyCane Joe-Joes

HC said...

Dude, I'm bummed for you. Twelve weeks really does seem like a long time to be out of commission -- I could put on a massive amount of weight in that time too.

OK, I'm not being inspirational.

Here comes the inspiration.

You can TOTALLY get back in shape when you're ready. Two years be damned! You know how to do it, and you have the motivation in you. Look at Ruby!! Go watch the Ruby marathon -- you'll feel better. :)

Mrs Furious said...

Elizabeth,
I think air popped popcorn might get me through. It's ridiculously filling. I think I managed about 1000 less calories today just by only eating when I was hungry. Go figure ;)


Haley,
I'm watching it now!!!

Renee said...

I'm thinking having a little extra cushion back there isn't necessarily a bad thing...it will protect your ass from getting broken again!!!!

I'm kidding and I know this is no laughing matter and I wish there was something I could do to make it better.... I cannot add anything further to Dana's comments-we all know what you can do when you set your mind to it, Mrs. F. so try, try, try to not be too hard on yourself...milk your broken ass for all its worth and in another month or so you can get back into the furious work out mode...you are an inspiration to SO many so I have no doubt you will recover and be back to your fabulously furious self minus the broken ass in no time at all.

I know I'm repeating broken ass a lot but I just can't help it-it makes me laugh mine off too and believe me, that's a good thing because there's no doubt my coccyx would have been saved had I had a similar fall-too bad I couldn't share some of my extra cushion w/ you just for that day and then you could have passed it on to someone else!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin